Monday, October 5, 2009

Sixth post.


I continue my research. It becomes more and more interesting. Collecting the content I found interesting material about collection of Renaissance sacred music (images were taken form there). Unfortunately,the great composers of this period such as Orlando de Lasso (also known as Orlandus Lassus , 1532-1540) or Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina (1525-1594) are almost forgotten. I was pleased to know that in the musical
collection there is 'Second Book of Masses' written by Giovanni de Palestrina in 1567.

The composers of Renaissance left a large body of work that are truly a great treasure of Western civilization.

I would like to tell several words about Josquin des Pres (1450? - 1521) who was very known in his time. He created at least 374 opuses both sacred and secular music. In spite of
his colossal reputation he was undeservedly forgotten and revived only in the 20th century.
In the Vatican Library works of Josquin des Pres are held. This picture introduces "Missa de Beata Virgine" which is unusual among
Josquin's works because of the special form
different
from
canonical.


I was interested in the accommodation of the manuscripts, a books and catalogues of the Vatican library. The required information I found in "Catholic Encyclopedia". I would like to note that the most comprehensive information connected with different aspects of the Vatican library in toto and their activities in particular I found there.
At the end of my research I found interesting web-site of society called 'American Friends of the Vatican Library'. This organization exists for 25 years. Their aim is to support and promote the Vatican library the unique source of knowledge about Western civilization.

No comments:

Post a Comment