Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Second post.


From the very beginning I would like to tell some words about my theme. I choose it because the Vatican Library is the place which is located in one of the most rich and interesting collections of books, manuscripts, pictures etc. I am very interested in old books and manuscripts.

This work gives me a good opportunity to increase my knowledge about the Vatican Library, its history and collections.

I began my research from web-site of on-line Catholic Enyclopedia. There is a lot of information about the library and the collections but there is not pictures.
Some good pictures were found in Answer.com page. Remembering about copyrights I went to the Vatican library website and was very pleased to know that everybody could use images for educational purposes. Thus I can download pictures in my blog legally.
Pope Sixtus IV appoints Bartolomeo Platina prefect of the Vatican Library, fresco by Melozzo da Forlì, c. 1477 (Vatican Museums)

Pope Sixtus IV appoints Bartolomeo Platina
prefect of the Vatican Library,
fresco by Melozzo da Forlì, c. 1477 (Vatican Museums)
image taken from 'vatican library' answers.com


I suppose this picture is very interesting because it is sui generis portraits of Pope Sixtus IV (1471-1484), an eminent sponsor of the Vatican Library and the first librarian, the humanist Bartolomeo Sacchi, called Platina.
I would like to note that there is the fresco in the Ospedale di Sancto Spirito in Rome where Pope Sixtus IV and Bartolomro Patina are depicted.



The image belongs to Project Gutenberg e-book.

Some facts from the Vatican library history.In 1475 Pope Sixtus IV released a bull Ad decorem militantis Ecclesiae, by which the Vatican Library was founded in June 15, 1475. In the same year he ordered the first catalogue of the Vatican LIbrary to be compiled. This job was done by Bartolomeo Patina.

Furthermore,Pope Sixtus IV is known as a person who commissioned a Florentine architect Giovannino de'Dolci to build the Sistine Chapel.







No comments:

Post a Comment