Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Third post

Nunc adeamus bibliothecam, non illam quidem multis instructam libris,
 sed exquisitis.  (ERASMUS)

My research continues.
I heard about the Vatican Library before but I was never interested specifically in this subject. Everything was changed when I began to do this research. It is extremely interesting! I try to find more and more information. Reading about a main subject I began to be interested in concomitant facts. It is really exciting.


The picture was taken form Vatican City Photos

I suppose this image can give a general impression of a place where the Vatican Library is located. This is the view of Vatican City.
It is interesting to know that the building, which Pope Sixtus V (1585-1590) decided to construct and which was built by the architect Domenico Fontana (1543-1607), still houses the Library.

If somebody is interested in Domenica Fontana and his arts one can read about him in the Catholic Encyclopedia or in Wikipedia.
I have found some short articles about Domenico Fontana in Britannica on-line Encyclopedia but unfortunately, this content is opened only for authorized readers.
In my research I found absolutely a fantastic short documentary about the Vatican Library in Google Video.




In this web- page there are several other videos. I recommend everybody who is interested in this subject to watch it .
Unfortunately, we do not have the opportunity to visit the Library in reality until 2010 because of important refurbishment work which is being conducted now.
Thus, we cannot follow Erasmus (Desiderius Erasmus 1446? - 1536) which words I put as an epigraph for this post, and to see the Vatican Library in reality.
Thus let's enjoy reading books, web-pages and watching documentaries about the Vatican Library.


No comments:

Post a Comment