Monday, September 28, 2009

Fourth post



The new technologies give the opportunity to find and use information which was unobtainable for most of us. I am not ashamed to confess that I knew about e-books only by being a student of this course.
There are several amazing projects which help people to use different materials from archives and famous libraries. The Internet Archive and Project Gutenberg could be included in this range.
In the former I found an absolutely fantastic book about Vatican in general and the Vatican library in particular. "The Secrets of Vatican" was published in London by Hurt and Blacket in 1907. I am pleased to know that this book is not in copyright thus I can use it in my blog according to the law.
Trying to find more e-books about the Vatican library I began to search databases which could be connected with digital libraries or archives. Unfortunately, I did not find any e-books except what is shown above.
The next step was searching databases through different libraries (I would like to note that before Google and Yahoo were used). As a result, I found full text of a chapter about my subject in Gale Virtual Reference Library. Curiously enough, only through one library from many I could find this text in the Gala database. It is quite strange.
I would like to underline that a lot of resources are accessible only for registered customers or buyers. Thus, for ordinary people this is the only way to use 'our mutual friends' 'Google', 'Yahoo', 'Ask.com' or 'Wikipedia' for research purposes.



This move was downloaded from Google

Following my previous recommendation I went to Google and added this video.
I consider that this movie is not about the Vatican library. Nevertheless I decided to leave it here because this short documentary is very impressive for everybody who is interested in neoclassicism in general and introduction of this style of art in Vatican interiors in particular. I am sure it is impossible to separate the Vatican library collections and places where these treasures are located.
I suppose it seems reasonable to post some information about rooms in the library.
I intend to do it in my future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment